You’re also risking the lifespan of your Fleshlight. Like any product made of silicone, wear and tear occur over time. Especially with heavy and repeated use. With proper care, your Fleshlight can be enjoyed for years to come.
How Do You Know If You Have Fleshlight Mold?
Mold is often misidentified by the untrained eye. Silicone has a propensity to discolor when it comes into contact with certain chemicals; this is especially noticeable on pink sleeved textures. And it’s not like you want to be waving your Fleshlight around asking other peoples opinions.
Firstly, give your Fleshlight a good smell. Don’t put your nose right up against the suspected mold, but waft the air towards yourself. Mold and mildew smell very musty. If there is an intense smell than it’s likely mold, especially if accompanied by green, white, black, or grayish spots.
Below is an extreme example of mold growth. If your Fleshlight looks anything like this, immediately put it in a bag and remove it from your home.
If it doesn’t smell, but you’re still concerned, give your sleeve a good wash with warm water and then follow it up with some isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol should kill any surface level bacteria and fungus. Next, dry your sleeve entirely and place it in an air sealed ziplock baggy for a week. Afterwards, pull it out and see if the mold suspected areas have grown larger. If the areas remained the same, then you’re probably in the free and clear. If they grew, you’re going to have to dry the bleaching method to kill off the fungus.
Preventing your Fleshlight from becoming moldy is simple and easy. The most recommended method, but also the most costly is using Fleshlight brand cleaner and renewing powder. The cleanser acts as a very mild disinfectant that cleans any residue within your sleeve. The Fleshlight renewing powder is used as a drying agent to prevent any mold or mildew buildup. Even if mold doesn’t grow, leaving your Fleshlight out wet can give the silicone a tacky feeling on your next use. Using a drying agent is the best way to dry the inside of your Fleshlight. There are homemade alternatives to those products. Isopropyl alcohol and cornstarch are cheaper and more accessible substitutes.
What You Need
- A cleaning agent which should be either Fleshlight’s brand cleaner or isopropyl alcohol. If you are using the alcohol be very conservative and mix it thoroughly with water.
- A drying agent such as Fleshlight’s renewing powder or cornstarch. Cornstarch is a cheaper and more convenient alternative that works just as well.
Once you’re confident you have mold, your options are limited. There may be a chance you can save your Fleshlight, but in many cases, you’ll just want to cut your losses. It’s not worth the smell and potential health side effects.
Keep in mind that even if you manage to kill the mold or mildew, your Fleshlight will likely remain discolored. The discoloration is not mold, but it is a damaged area on the silicone.
What You Need
- Hot water
- Paper Towels
- Isopropyl alcohol
For Surface Level Mold or Mildew Growth
- Firstly, you’ll want to try rinsing your Fleshlight thoroughly with slightly hot water.
- Now fully dry the inside and outside of your sleeve.
- Next, wash with isopropyl alcohol. This should kill any surface level mold.
For Deep Mold or Mildew Growth
If mold is still an issue even after following those steps, you’re going to have to go nuclear. Be warned, the following process has a high chance of completely ruining your toy. However, the mold has the same effect so you may as well try.
- Rinse your entire sleeve with slightly hot water.
- Mix one cap of bleach into six cups of water.
- Pour this solution in and around your toy, focusing mostly on problem areas.
- Give the bleach one minute to do its job.
- Wash very thoroughly with warm water and light scrubbing.
- Make sure all the bleach is washed away or you’re risking more harm than good. The bleach will stain and break down the silicone over time.
If this doesn’t work and you still have mold, just toss it. There is no saving it at that point. Chalk it up as a learning experience and saddle right back up!